Cloudcroft Camp & Ride - Take 2, August 26-28, 2022

An eating club with a riding problem

Re: Cloudcroft Camp & Ride - Take 2, August 26-28, 2022

Postby RJMirabal » Tue May 24, 2022 9:58 am

8)

Thanks for your report, Dogman Dan! There's certainly no reason some members might want to go on down to Cloudcroft next week, just be alert to the cautions Dan mentioned.

In a way, I agree with Dan about later being a better time for this Camp and Ride considering dryness, winds, fire, etc. We'll look at that for next year but we'll have to be quick because those July and August dates for campground reservations fill up fast! If anyone knows when is the earliest time we can reserve the campground through recreation.gov let me know so we can be first off the line to pick a weekend! :roll: :wink:
RJ Mirabal
RJMirabal
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Cloudcroft Camp & Ride - Take 2, August 26-28, 2022

Postby dogman dan » Mon May 23, 2022 3:23 am

I just did a day trip to Cloudcroft, not quite as dry as I expected on top. About like last year. But down lower, very very dry.

If you still have hotel space reserved, it may be worth going anyway. They may close primitive camping, but in stage 3 fire restrictions, paved highways stay open. Right now its stage 2, and there is a good spot to primitive camp just across the street and north of the fir group camp area. Street type bikes can make it up that dirt road to the first camp spot. Only a few hundred feet.

What scared me about this year was the kind of wind we were having, and the thought of a fire starting upwind of the camp spot, down in High Rolls. I did not want to have to bug out with my big trailer, through Roswell.

Aug 26 should be a much nicer time to be up there, if not some rain, then at least the usual shady clouds in the afternoons. In my opinion the best time to schedule this ride and camp in future years is mid July. Less wind, and if the forest goes to stage 3 fire restrictions, it tends to open again by July 4. Stage 3 fire restrictions in June is becoming the norm, at least for the Gila and the Sacramentos.
dogman dan
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Cloudcroft Camp & Ride - Take 2, August 26-28, 2022

Postby LOEBMWR Admin » Wed May 18, 2022 6:15 pm

Unfortunately we had to cancel our original June 3-5 Cloudcroft Camp & Ride because the Forest Service closed our campground due to the current Fire danger. HOWEVER...we have rescheduled the event, Camp & Ride - Take 2, for August 26-28, 2022.

We will be at the same location, Lower Fir Group Campground and we have a new iVolunteer sign up area.

If you are planning to attend this new event, RSVP HERE---> https://loebmwr.ivolunteer.com/cloudcro ... e_aug_2022

Most people arrive sometime Friday afternoon and when we have the code for the lock to the Lower Fir Campground, we'll send it to those who RSVP so you can let yourself in--BE SURE TO LOCK THE GATE BEHIND YOU. Be sure only club members can access the camping ground. Tents and RVs of all kinds are welcome. Let me know if you're coming in any type of RV so we can be sure there'll be enough parking space for you.

We have had a breakfast burrito event Saturday morning and may have another one at this event. If you can volunteer to help out by contributing one of the items that typically make up a burrito (eggs, tortillas, salsa, etc.) please let me know about that. Send in all such communication to Webmaster@loebmwr.org and we'll coordinate more as we near the date of the event.

Motel/Hotel campers, make your reservations soon because that weekend is already getting full in town. More updates to come. Stay tuned.
LOEBMWR Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Scheduled Rides, Meetings & Events