Riding Challenge 2018 - Gold Roads of New Mexico

An eating club with a riding problem

Re: Riding Challenge 2018 - Gold Roads of New Mexico

Postby SandyBallard » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:42 am

The winners of the 2018 Riding Challenge were celebrated at the Club Christmas Party on December 6, 2018. Congratulations!
RidingChallenge2018Winners.jpg
SandyBallard
Advanced Intermediate Poster

Postby SandyBallard » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:10 pm

The 2018 Riding Challenge - Gold Roads of New Mexico, is over! We ended up with 7 overall winners who completed all 36 Rides:
Jack Dannenberg
Art & Lynda Garcia
Bede Crawford
Sandy & Amy Ballard
Randy Jones

In addition, Dave & Annie Tynan completed 24 Rides, thereby qualifying for a coveted Riding Challenge T-shirt.

Congratulations winners! You will be recognized at the Christmas Party Saturday December 8.

The final results can be perused here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NhixulP63URSK5ER1QUqxqahkQZxCBxQopAi3QIv48Y/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for participating!
Sandy
activities@loebmwr.org
SandyBallard

Postby SandyBallard » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Whow! Another Riding Challenge winner! Randy Jones was out riding today sent in a photo for his 36th Riding Challenge Ride! Way to go Randy! Winner #7!
RandyGilaCliffDwellings.jpg
SandyBallard

Postby SandyBallard » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:25 pm

We have two more Riding Challenge winners!
IMG_1869 (1).jpg

Amy and I rode up to Sandia Crest today, completing all the Riding Challenge Rides! We had fun! You can peruse all of our Riding Challenge photo ops here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zQhlBI3392aUXIUf1

We really enjoyed the Challenge this year because it was focused on great roads to ride. Amy's favorite was definitely Geronimo Trail up to Beaverhead Ranger Station. I had several favorites including Gila Cliff Dwellings and Emory Pass. Timberon was also really awesome.

The end of the Riding Challenge will soon be upon us! You must submit your photos to activities@loebmwr.org no later than midnight Sunday November 4. That is next week!

The latest official Riding Challenge results are available here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NhixulP63URSK5ER1QUqxqahkQZxCBxQopAi3QIv48Y/edit?usp=sharing
So far, we have 6 winners and 23 Riding Challenge Riders have completed a total of 424 rider-rides. Nice work everyone!

Also note that everyone who completed at least 24 of the 36 Rides wins a T-shirt (Long Rides to Weird Places), which you can pick up at Sandia BMW dealership anytime.

Riding Challenge winners will be recognized are receive prizes at the Christmas Party December 8.

Anyone ready for next year's Riding Challenge? Well you will have to wait until the Christmas Party December 8 to learn the details!

Cheers,
Sandy
SandyBallard

Postby SandyBallard » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:04 pm

We have another Riding Challenge winner! Bede Crawford became the 4th Riding Challenge winner by riding up to Sandia Crest today, his 36th and final Riding Challenge Ride of the year. Way to go Bede!
Sandia Crest.jpg

3 more Challenge Riders are poised to complete all the rides before the end of the Riding Challenge on Sunday November 4 (only a little over a week away). The rest of you had better get crackin' so you can enjoy all of the associated glory and prizes at the Award Ceremony during the Christmas Party December 8.

Here is a link to the latest results:

Cheers,
Sandy
SandyBallard

Postby SandyBallard » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:14 am

So far, 23 Riders have completed 417 rider-rides in this year's Riding Challenge. We have three winners and 3 more riders who only need to ride one more ride to become winners. Then there are a couple of more riders who are within striking distance of completing all the rides. You can peruse the latest official results here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NhixulP63URSK5ER1QUqxqahkQZxCBxQopAi3QIv48Y/edit?usp=sharing

Note that anyone who completes 24 or more of the 36 Riding Challenge Rides wins a highly coveted Riding Challenge T-shirt (Long Rides to Weird Places) which can be picked up at Sandia BMW dealership.

Time is running short! There is only about a month left! Rides must be completed and photos submitted to activities@loebmwr.org by Sunday November 4 in order to qualify for this year's Challenge. Prizes will be awarded to winners at the club Christmas Party in December.

Enjoy!
Sandy
SandyBallard

Postby SandyBallard » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:50 am

We have two more winners! Art and Lynda Garcia completed 7 rides in the Enchanted Circle area over the weekend, thereby completing all 36 Gold Roads on this years Riding Challenge. Way to go Art and Lynda!
Art&Lynda (1).jpg
Lynda and Art

They join Jack Dannenberg in the winner's circle so now we have three winners so far this year.
Jack_Dannenberg_Gilman_Tunnels.jpg
Jack Dannenberg

But there will certainly be more winners. Amy and I rode the Ski Rio Gold Road this weekend, our 35'th Riding Challenge Ride. We have only to ride up to Sandia Crest and we will join the others on the podium.

You can peruse all the official Riding Challenge results here:

Ride on!
Sandy
activities@loebmwr.org
SandyBallard

Postby Jack D » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:33 am

I must apologize. When Linda and I rode this road I was thinking it would not be a good ride after or during a rain because of all the gullies we crossed. I should have posted my thoughts. IMHO it is the prettiest ride in the challenge. The little store in Winston has a unique sound whenever anyone enters or exits the front door. See if you can identify it on your trip up this road.
Jack D
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby SandyBallard » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:45 am

Amy and I were joined by Randy Jones and his wife Denise on the Geronimo Trail Riding Challenge Ride this past weekend. Highway 59 from Winston west to the Beaverhead Work Center in the heart of the Gila National Forest is now my favorite ride of this year's Riding Challenge. It is absolutely beautiful up there and the road is great: decent pavement, lots of twisties, and outstanding scenery.
Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 9.35.51 AM.png

We left town Saturday morning and rode south through Tijeras and Mountainair on the way to a final fuel stop in Elephant Butte. On I-25, the weather was great, but we could see a very large, dark, ominous thunderstorm up in the Gila to the west. As we drove that way on highway 52, it quickly became apparent that we were going to skirt the edge of the storm on the south as it moved off to the northeast. After a quick rest stop in the cool little store in the tiny town of Winston, we continued north on 52 under clear skies. Proceeding down the road at a healthy clip, I came over a low rise going about 50 mph when a raging flash flood suddenly appeared before me. I slammed on the brakes but only had time to slow to about 30 mph before I entered the floodwaters. My instinctive reaction was to get off the brake and accelerate as much as I could. Fortunately, I kept the bike up and safely reached the other side but with an adrenaline rush the likes of which I have rarely experienced. I'm told by my comrades who had time to stop before entering the arroyo that the spray from my crossing was spectacular. My bike and I were completely covered with muddy water up to the very top of my helmet. It was very exciting. A local rancher who stopped on his way by said that the large storm we had seen from I-25 had passed through and dropped over an inch of rain in area. While there is no visual record of my crossing, you can find a video of Amy riding across the arroyo at a much more reasonable speed in the Google Photos album of our trip (https://photos.app.goo.gl/sWXorF1Ha6HJRpJ97).

After my heart rate dropped to a healthier level, and the flood waters receded, we continued on to Highway 59, crossing about 10 more flooded arroyos along the way. This ride definitely qualified as a Riding Challenge! Once we turned west onto Highway 59, the going got easier and we proceeded to a lovely primitive camp up on the continental divide where the CDT crosses the highway. The weather was clear and we enjoyed a lovely campfire before retiring for the night. In the morning we completed the remaining 20 or so miles to the Beaverhead Work Center where we took our requisite Riding Challenge photos and then returned from whence we came. As stated above, Highway 59 is a jewel. The weather was perfect and, after all the recent rains, it was so green it looked like Ireland. I highly recommend this ride, but maybe not right after a major thunderstorm!
IMG_2305 (1).jpg

Cheers,
Sandy
SandyBallard

Postby SandyBallard » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:43 pm

We have our first winner! Jack Dannenberg completed the Canadian Escarpment Ride recently, his 36th and final ride of this year's Riding Challenge! Way to go Jack!

There are another half a dozen riders nippin' at his heels however and there are sure to be more winners coming up soon. The rest of us had better get crackin since there are only about 11 weeks left to complete all the rides, which all need to be done by Sunday November 4.

To date, 323 rider-rides have been ridden. You can peruse the latest results here:

Ride on!
Sandy
activities@loebmwr.org
SandyBallard

Postby SandyBallard » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:53 pm

There has been a spate of Riding Challenge activity lately. To date, 21 Riders have completed 314 rider-rides. 13 Riders have completed more than 10 of the 36 rides, 7 have completed more than 20 and 2 more than 30. You can check out all the results at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NhixulP63URSK5ER1QUqxqahkQZxCBxQopAi3QIv48Y/edit?usp=sharing.

Amy and I just returned from a 3-day, 900 mile tour of northern New Mexico during which we rode 5 of the Riding Challenge Rides.
Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 3.52.04 PM.png

On the tour, we rode Highway 64 all the way from Capulin Volcano in the east to Navajo Dam in the west, a total distance of some 300 miles. It is a wonderful road with lots of great twisties, beautiful scenery and four Gold Road segments. How the 50 mile stretch from Tres Piedras to Tierra Amarilla could fail to be included in the list of Gold Roads is a mystery to me. A highlight of our trip was Highway 72 from Sugarite Canyon State Park to the town of Folsom. Awesome road!
We camped at Sugarite and Navajo Dam State Parks and enjoyed them very much.
IMG_1206.jpg
Sugarite Canyon State Park
IMG_1213.jpg
Navajo Dam State Park

To peruse our Gold Road photo ops, check out https://photos.app.goo.gl/zQhlBI3392aUXIUf1. We only have 4 Gold Roads to go! Then what are we going to do? Is there life after a Riding Challenge? I guess we'll find out. I know! We can start planning next year's Riding Challenge!

Ride On!
Sandy
activities@loebmwr.org
SandyBallard

Postby SandyBallard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:28 am

National Forest closures due to fire danger are impacting the ability of folks to complete Riding Challenge Rides. The road up to Jack's Creek in the Pecos is closed at Cowles, cutting off the last 3 miles of the ride. That is probably the hairiest part of the ride so if you can wait for it to reopen that would be good. Similarly, the Crest road in the Sandias is closed so definitely wait for this one to reopen before you head up that way. On a brighter note, the road up to Santa Fe Ski Area is open to the ski area parking lot. Amy and I rode it today and it was actually great. Since all the trails that start on the road are closed it seemed like there was very little traffic. Great road: tight turns separated by short, fast straight-a-ways. Lots of high rpm shifting between first and second. Nice and cool up there too. Enjoy, and fingers crossed for rain!

BTW: You can now get information about the Riding Challenge on the club Facebook page at
https://www.facebook.com/events/252794605474368/
If you get an error, request access here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/loebmwr/

Cheers,
Sandy
activities@loebmwr.org
SandyBallard

Postby SandyBallard » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:46 pm

There are some great roads down in the Cloudcroft area and several Riding Challenge Riders took advantage of being down in that area for the Camp & Ride to tick off a couple of Rides. In my estimation, Highway 6563 from Cloudcroft to Timberon is about the best motorcycle road in the state; no traffic, silky smooth tar-snake-free pavement, and 40 mph twisties. Great road!

As of today, 21 Riding Challenge Riders have completed 240 Rider-Rides, a pretty impressive increase since the Ice Cream Ride last month. Here is a link to the latest Riding Challenge results:

As always, please check my records and let me know about any errors.

I will note that Amy and I rode 11 Riding Challenge Rides during a 9 day, 1300 mile tour that ended at the Cloudcroft Camp & Ride.
Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 12.41.19 PM.png
Click to enlarge

You can peruse an album of all of our Riding Challenge photo ops here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zQhlBI3392aUXIUf1

Cheers, and ride on!
Sandy
activities@loebmwr.org
SandyBallard

Postby SandyBallard » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:31 am

Some of the Riding Challenge Gold Roads are truly outstanding rides. I'm thinking of Devil's Highway and the road from Cloudcroft to Timberon. Sweet! Unfortunately, some of them are not so outstanding. In fact, I question the sanity of whoever thought some of them were worthy of riding at all. In particular, I am thinking of Highway 435 south out of Reserve. The scenery is beautiful, but the road surface is really horrible. The potholes occupied more of the road surface than did the asphalt.

So here is the deal: if you find yourself riding a Riding Challenge Ride that you don't like at all, for whatever reason, stop, take a picture of just about anything, and turn around. These rides are supposed to be fun and if they are not, don't do them. I'll accept your photo and explanation.

Cheers and Happy Trails,
Sandy
activities@loebmwr.org
SandyBallard

Postby SandyBallard » Fri May 25, 2018 6:43 pm

Hello Challenge Riders!

I came up with a new way to display challenge results that will replace the pdf files that I have been posting up to now. Check it out at the following link:

Feedback welcome!

Oh yes, and please let me know if you find any errors.

Sandy
activities@loebmwr.org
SandyBallard

Next

Return to Scheduled Rides, Meetings & Events